Mr. Ober was elected Hillsborough County State Attorney in November 2000 and re-elected in August 2004 by the largest margin ever. He was again elected, without opposition, for the terms beginning January 2009 and January 2013.

He was awarded a Bachelor of Arts Degree in English from the University of Florida in 1973. Mark earned his Doctor of Jurisprudence from the South Texas College of Law and was admitted to the Florida Bar in 1977, when he began a career as an assistant state attorney. In that capacity, he worked his way through the ranks to become Felony Bureau Chief, Chief of Major Crimes Division, Chief of Career Criminal Division, and Senior Litigation Specialist.

Mark entered private practice in 1987 and specialized in criminal defense law until being elected Hillsborough County State Attorney. He is recognized in the legal community as an expert in the field of criminal law, having personally chaired over 250 criminal jury trials. Mark has handled over forty first degree murder cases.

Now in his fourth term, Mark leads an office that has grown to over 300 Employees with 130 attorneys on staff. He was elected to the executive board of the Florida Prosecuting Attorneys Association which represents all prosecutors in Florida. Serving as president of that association in 2008 and 2009, Mark was directly responsible for communicating the needs and concerns of Florida prosecutors to the governor and the legislature. He is the 2014 recipient of the Jack Edmund Award from the American Inn of Court for excellence and civility in the practice of criminal law. He was further honored as the 2015 President’s Award winner from the Tampa Bay Chiefs of Police Association as well as being recently recognized as a Patriotic Employer by the Office of the Secretary of Defense Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve.

NOTE:  Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public-records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.